Tahawus Trails LLC offers a full range of trail related services in order to assist our clients in completing a variety of trail projects. Our services include construction, education and training, and design and consulting services. We also have extensive experience collaborating with landscape architects, engineers, and other design professionals in the completion of a wide range of projects. We work closely with our clients, including land and stewardship organizations, parks, municipalities, schools, developers, and private landowners to develop, design and improve appropriate access to natural areas.
We offer a variety of trail construction services:
- Design/Build: We design, plan, and construct a project from start to finish. This is our most common mode of operation and allows clients to save resources in the design phase by developing just enough design detail to clearly communicate the construction goals.
- Traditional Contracted Trail Construction: We work from pre-existing plans and designs.
- Hybrid Construction: Tahawus Trails staff trains, oversees, and works alongside volunteers and/or the client's staff in the completion of the project in order to effectively leverage the available resources.
- Custom Stone, Timber and Low-impact Construction: We specialize in difficult-to-access and sensitive areas as well as custom solutions. Although these unique skills were developed through our extensive experience on trail projects, we also work in non-trail settings including residential, commercial and urban sites.
- Mechanized or Hand-built Trails: In addition to traditional hand-built trail construction techniques, we have New York State's largest fleet of specialized trail machines (with equipment widths from 24" to 84"). With these tools and techniques we are able to build trails economically in many seemingly inaccessible locations, while leaving an extremely light footprint on the land.
Education and Training
Tahawus Trails has developed a series of trail training workshops which we offer to non-profit and volunteer groups, government land management agencies, as well as the general public. These workshops can pertain to general trail construction and maintenance, or be customized for an individual clients needs. Often, these workshops are offered in conjunction with a specific construction project in which the volunteers or clients will be assisting Tahawus Trails toward the completion of the project. Workshops include:
- Basic Hand Tool Use and Safety
- Trail Layout and Design
- Trail Assessment
- Stone Work for Trails (Stone cribbing, stone steps)
- Construction & Maintenance of Tread and Drainage
- Timber Construction for Trails
- Rigging for low-impact trail construction
- Mechanized Trail Construction
- Bridge and Boardwalk Construction Techniques
Design and consulting
Our planning, design, and consulting services include:
- Trail feasibility analysis.
- Trail condition assessments.
- Trail master plans.
- Cost estimates.
- GIS Mapping Services
- Grant writing.
- Development of project specifications.
- Field layout, surveying, and staking.
- Development of typical and project specific drawings.
Our planning and design documents can be produced in a variety of industry standard software.